Setting Up the Polycom SoundPoint IP 330/650 SIP 2.0 Phones for O-Tel Agent Portal Provisioning System
The instructions in this article apply to the following Polycom SIP phones:
- SoundPoint IP 650 with firmware 3.2.x.
- SoundPoint IP 330 with firmware 3.1.x.
We assume that the phone settings were reset to the factory default values!
This article describes the procedure of setting up a phone for use with the O-Tel Agent Portal phone provisioning module. The steps below can be followed by the phone administrator that is installing his/her phone for the first time.
The procedure consists of three major steps:
1. Phone installation.
2. Configuring the phone provisioning from the O-Tel Portal interface.
3. Phone network parameters configuration.
1. Connect the supplied network cable between the LAN jack on the phone and the LAN port on the wall or hub/switch device port.
2. Connect the DC plug on the power adapter to the DC 24V jack marked on the phone.
3. Connect the country-specific AC cord to the power adapter.
4. Connect the short straight end of the handset cord to the handset and the corresponding longer straight end of the cord to the handset jack on the back of the phone.
5. Connect the headset (if available) to the headset jack on the back of the phone.
6. Power up your phone.
For more information on the physical installation steps, including how to power the device from a PoE (IEEE 802.3af) compliant switch or hub, check the phone's users guide.
Configure the provisioning feature by taking these steps:
1. Log in to the O-Tel Agent Portal interface with your extension account.
2. Click the Provisioning icon.
3. In the opening page fill in the required fields:
o Use provisioning - When this check box is selected, the phone device associated with the extension will get all its setup parameters from the provisioning server. Otherwise, the extension user will have to manually set the phone parameters.
o Phone brand and model - Use this drop-down list to select your phone brand and model (Polycom SoundPoint IP 650).
o Firmware - Use this drop-down list to select one of the supported firmware versions corresponding to your phone.
o Phone MAC - Use this text box to enter the MAC address of the phone. To obtain the MAC address, check the sticker on the back of the phone device. The MAC address for Polycom phones begins with 00:04:F2.
o Update protocol - Use this drop-down list to choose the protocol used by the phone to access the configuration file on the provisioning server. You may select either http or tftp, depending on your preferences and the network limitations.
o Regenerate provisioning location - When this check box is selected, O-Tel Agent Portal will delete the existing configuration file and create a new one.
4. Click Ok to save the data. On the top of the page the system will display a message containing the provisioning link.
1. Restart the telephone. Enter the bootROM menu by pressing in maximum 5 seconds the key on the phone pad that corresponds to the Setup label displayed on screen.
2. Enter the default password (usually 456) and press OK.
3. Next, you must enable the DHCP Client. To do so, use the up/down arrow keys to navigate through the menu. Click the check key available between the arrow keys to change the option's value. Choose Enabled and press the check key again.
4. Fill in the static Phone IP Address using the arrow and number keys. To delete a digit, press the X key on the phone pad. Press the check key to store the address.
5. Navigate to the IP Gateway option. Press the check key and fill in the gateway address using the arrow and number keys. Press the check key again to store the address.
6. If you want to allow the telephone to automatically detect and update your time settings, use the SNTP address option to fill in the address of a NTP server (i.e.: ntp.is.co.za). Press the check key to store it.
7. Using the arrow and number keys, define your DNS Server address. Press the check key to store it.
8. Next, navigate to the Server Menu to specify the provisioning link previously generated by O-Tel Agent Portal. This can be done by customizing one of the following two parameters, depending on your preferences or on the network restrictions. Use the arrow keys to find the Server Type option. Choose either:
o Trivial FTP. Press the check key to confirm your selection. To fill in the provisioning link, go to the Server Address option and use the key pad to specify the value previously generated by the application. Press the check key to save.
Remember always to add a '/' (slash) at the end of the provisioning link. For example, if the generated link was:
than, when setting up the Polycom telephone, you would have to fill in:
o Or HTTP. Press the check key to confirm your selection. To fill in the provisioning file location, go to the Server Address option and use the key pad to specify the location previously generated by the application. Press the check key to save.
You have to fill in the entire location provided by O-Tel Agent Portal, as in the example below:
9. Press the key on the phone pad that corresponds to the EXIT label displayed on screen and than confirm you want all the defined parameters to be saved.
10. The telephone will automatically reboot.
If the procedure was successful, after the reboot you should be able to make your first phone call.